Full course description
Important Registration Notice
Currently, we can only accept Visa and MasterCard payments. We are working with our payment provider to also accept American Express and Discover. Please check back soon if you must register with American Express or Discover cards.
Keith Gray, LCSW
4.5 HOURS OF SOCIAL WORK CONTINUING EDUCATION
During this training, participants will gain a broader understanding LGBTQIA+ identities, highlighting the nuances of gender and sexual identities. We will discuss risk factors for mental illness, psychopathology, and disparities to finding affirming care. Participants will also be challenged to think about how they can change the landscape for accessing affirming care. Through discussions, looking at case examples, and group work, those taking this course will walk away with a better understanding of how they can be affirming and competent in supporting the LGBTQIA+ community.
- Understand the meaning of each of the seven letters in LGBTQIA+ acronym
- Learn two differences each in gender identity, gender expression, sex assigned at birth, sexual identity, and emotional and physical attraction.
- Discuss seven factors connected to poor levels of mental health
- Identify seven common problems the community faces due to lack of affirming and competent care
- Understand two diagnostic criteria for gender dysphoria
- Challenge the need to pathologize gender identity through a group activity
- Learn about five specific statistics for LGBTQIA+ youth related to depression, suicidality, and substance abuse
- Discuss at least three unique components to providing affirming assessments
- Identify three scenarios for exploring sexual health and substance abuse
- Learn about the five components of the Matrix Model for substance abuse
- Learn and discuss three types of medical interventions specific to the trans community
- Identify five ways to create affirming spaces